The beneficial effect of the Rice Diet on diabetes is particularly impressive, not only because of the effect on the blood sugar and reduced need for medication, but because of the Rice Diet's beneficial effect on blood pressure, cholesterol and the eye and kidney complications that can occur with diabetes.
Of those patients taking insulin, 38% were able to discontinue the insulin in just four weeks and still have better blood sugar control. About half of these required oral medication. The remaining 62% were able to decrease their insulin dose. Overall, the fasting blood sugar improved in this group from 222 to 134. Blood pressure medications were discontinued in 85%, while the average blood pressure improved from 149/83 to 131/74. The cholesterol in these patients fell from 218 to 180.
Of those patients taking oral diabetes medications, 80% were able to discontinue all medication in just four weeks. Another 15% were able to decrease the dose of medication. The average fasting blood sugar improved from 182 to 132 in this group. Blood pressure medications were discontinued in 94% of those taking them while the average blood pressure improved from 152/86 to 125/76. The cholesterol in these patients fell from 205 to 187.
Success Stories Lynn
With the help of the Rice Diet Program, Lynn has maintained a weight loss of over 280 lbs in the last six years, eliminated all blood pressure medications and has cleared her legs of lymphoedema.
In patients with diabetes who were not taking medication, the fasting blood sugar improved from 206 to 118. Blood pressure medications were discontinued in 80% of those taking them and the average blood pressure improved from 151/97 to 128/78. The cholesterol in these patients fell from 218 to 197.
The most dramatic effect of the Diet was seen in a 49 year old physician who had diabetes for almost 30 years. He had all the complications. He had chest pain and leg pain when he walked as little as 100 feet, despite the fact that he had had a bypass to his leg blood vessels. He had angina but his heart catheterization had to be aborted when he had a mini-stroke. Fortunately, he recovered fully from this episode. He had retinopathy (diabetic eye disease), nephropathy (diabetic kidney disease) and neuropathy (nerve disease). Two toes had been amputated because of blood vessel and nerve disease. He was taking blood pressure medicine and 66 units of insulin a day. His blood pressure was 168/104, fasting blood sugar 199 and cholesterol 312. In less than 14 days, all his insulin and blood pressure medicine were stopped. His blood pressure was 110/80 and his fasting blood sugar was 119. In less than four weeks, his cholesterol had improved to 195. In seven months, it improved to 159. In less than three months, he was walking four miles a day without chest or leg pain. Perhaps most impressively, patients who were legally blind from diabetic eye disease have had their vision improve to the point that they could obtain driver's licenses.